Friday, October 3, 2008

Our First big Challenge

Of coarse, as soon as you decided to do a no buy month, something comes up. In our case, it was a knitting competition and Christmas.
I have been participating in the Harry Potter Knit and Crochet House Cup on Ravelry. One of the classes(challenges worth points) this month was to felt something. I have been debating on doing socks or felted slippers for Darren's Mom for Christmas. So, I happily signed up for the class, planning on doing slippers. I have plenty of wool around here, because of the store.
Everything was great until I looked at the pattern It calls for needles that I don't have. I didn't think this was possible. I have a lot of needles. Darren made the ruling that I could buy them because they are for a present and a competition, but I didn't go for it. I first asked about borrowing them from someone at my local SnB. One person had some, but they were on loan to someone else. So, I posted on DSD about doing a trade, thinking that noone in there right mind would trade away needles. (I have a thing for needles.) I went off to think about alternatives. I decided to make Darren a project bag out of scrap yarn for the competition and either knit Mom the socks or put it off 'til November when I can buy the needles. I came back to check DSD and did a happy dance. Kathy wants to trade. So, in the morning, the mailman will be taking away some sock yarn that I didn't really like. Sometime soon, the mailman will be bringing me needles. How exciting.

No comments: